IPA The project is co-funded by EU trough the BulgariaSerbia IPA Cross-border Programme
Leader Partner Municipality of Koprivshtitsa, Koprivshtitsa - Bulgaria; Partner Municipality of Medijana Nis, Serbia

Landmarks

Church

This church, built in 1817, is known by the local inhabitants as the old chirch. It is the church bells that announced the beginning of the April uprising. The church contains many precious works of art including the Iconostasis (1821) and the other icons made by Renaissance painters (like Zahari Zograf) during the period of 1837 to 1838. In the yard of the church is located the mortuary monument of Dimcho Debelianov, built in 1934 by the sculptor prof. Ivan Lazarov. You can find here also the tomb of Hadzhi Nencho Palaveev - the important grantor of funds for the construction of the local culture house and other cultural buildings.

Location: Bulgaria, Koprivshtitsa, 26A, Dimcho Debelianov Str.

Uspenie Bogorodichno.jpg

Church

The Church of St. Nicholas is located in the foothill of the St. Nicholas' Hill, in the southern town part called Palilula. St. Nicholas' temple has its own history which is inseparable from the history of the town of Niš. It has perhaps been the witness of Niš history since the dawn of Christianity, which had found a strong bastion here.

Location: Serbia, Nish,

St.N.jpg

Church

The fundaments of an ecclesiastical structure, discovered in the archeological excavations in 1969 and 1970, most probably belong to the former monastic Church of St. Panteleimon. Those excavations revealed the remnants of two cult structures, now visible after the preservation works. One of them is an early-Christian basilica from the end of the 4th or beginning of the 5th century, while the other is a Byzantine basilica, certainly older than the 12th century. It is more precisely dated in the first half of the 11th century by the discovered movable material from the necropolis in its immediate surroundings: crosses, earrings, rings, bracelets, Byzantine coins, as well as by the known historical sources. The mentioned findings and historical circumstances bring about certain perplexity when trying to find out whether Stephan Nemanja had built the church "of the saint and great martyr Panteleimon in the town of Niš" as a completely new structure, as Stephan the First Crowned claimed ("and to whom he erected a shrine there"), or he had only renovated an existing temple. This question shall remain unanswered until systematic archeological excavations are undertaken. For the time being, the realization that the great church builder and renovator Stephan Nemanja wanted to make Niš the capital of Serbia points to Niš as a strong religious center with numerous temples. Some of them, and maybe just the Byzantine church of St. Panteleimon, he did reconstruct. Upon the Turkish occupation of Niš in 1386, the Monastery of St. Panteleimon was demolished.

Location: Serbia, Nish,

St. P.jpg

Church

The Early-Christian basilica with a martyry is located in the town area called "Jagodin Mala" at the Late-Roman and Early-Christian necropolis site. It was discovered in 1933/34, while the archeological excavations in 1953 stated a three-aisled basilica on its east side.

Location: Serbia, Nish,

basi.jpgbasi1.jpg

Church

It had all started in the vicinity of Niš, in the well-known locality of Mediana. Northwest from the Roman palace, to the same side where the ancient Romans had built a nympheum and thermae out of their respect toward the water and its benefits, the first Christians of Niš erected a baptistery. It is one of the oldest baptisteries in the Balkans, built in the second half of the 4th century, when Niš was an important episcopal city.

Location: Serbia, Nish,

bapt.jpgbapt2.jpg
5 landmarks found